- G class license or higher. This is a requirement from the Ministry of Transportation's Highway Traffic Act. Holders of class G1 or G2 drivers licenses cannot upgrade to any commercial drivers license until they obtain their full G class license.
- No DUI (Driving Under the Influence) convictions in last 10 years. If you have received a pardon for your conviction, you are eligible to obtain a B or C License. Technically, even people with convictions can obtain C their license, but it will be very difficult for them to find work in the industry as drinking and driving is a very serious offense and taboo in the transport industry. B Class (School Bus) Applicants must have clean criminal records
- Over 18 years old (Over 21 years old for class B.)
- Be able to pass a M.T.O. (Ministry of Transport) Medical Test. This is a basic test to ensure you are healthy enough to become a commercial vehicle driver. This test can be conducted by any doctor practicing in the province of Ontario. Because it is not covered under O.H.I.P., most doctors charge fees for these exams. A typical cost is $60-$80 for this examination.
Note: Physicians and Optometrists are required by law to report any conditions that may impair your driving ability physically or mentally so be aware that you may need to consult a specialist to obtain permission to obtain your drivers license. For details on what kind of medical conditions they check for, click Medical Conditions
You can download the form required to be filled out by the doctor below;
Reasonably Priced M.T.O Medical Facilities - MTO Medical Facilities
Our B or C bus driver training and courses range in tuition fees from as little as $1598 for our basic program to as much as $2599 for a comprehensive program. Choosing a course depends on; mechanical aptitude, previous experience with heavy equipment, and of course learning curve as well as your job requirements. Contact our school today and schedule a FREE assessment to see which course would be recommended for you.
|B or C Basic Course||B-Z or C-Z Basic Course||B-Z or C-Z Comprehensive Course|
|From $76.47 / month for 24 months||From $90.03 / month for 24 months||From $144.08 / month for 24 months|
|12 hours in class training||12 hours in class training||12 hours in class training|
|12 hour Air Brake Endorsement Course||12 hour Air Brake Endorsement Course|
|9 hours in cab training||9 hours in cab training||15 hours in cab training|
|Automatic Transmission||Automatic Transmission||Automatic Transmission|
|Road Test Included||Road Test Included||2 Road Tests Included|
- Having a clean drivers abstract or driving record. As a new recruit, this is your best proof of how good/safe a driver you are. One or two minor tickets aren't huge problems, but the cleaner your driving record the easier it will be for you to be employed/the better company you can get in to.
- Having a clean criminal record.
- Having previous experience with large vehicles. Ever worked on a construction site driving heavy equipment? Ever worked as a mechanic or apprentice in a shop?
1. Pass M.T.O. Medical Exam - (Form can be obtained from most M.T.O. locations, some doctors and our office free of charge)
2. (Class B Only) Obtain criminal record check. CRJM (Criminal Record Judicial Matters Check)
Peel Police Criminal Check: rec-check.peelpolice.ca
Metro Toronto Police Criminal Check: rec-check.peelpolice.ca
Halton Region Police Criminal Check: https://www.policesolutions.ca/checks/services/halton/index.php
York Region Police Criminal Check: https://event.yrp.ca/OnlineClearance/
Mail the completed check, along with a copy of your drivers license to:
Driver Improvement Office, Driver Control Section
Attn: Class B or E CRJM
77 Wellesley St. West, Box 671
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1N3
3. Complete In Class Training - This prepares you for your written test, gives you the building blocks for your in vehicle training and covers all that you will need to know to do your job properly and within the law every day you're on the road.
|Topics Covered in Class:|
|Pre-Trip Inspections||En-Route Inspections||Post-Trip Inspections|
|Space Management||Speed Management||Backing and Turning Maneuvers|
|Hours of Service Regulations (U.S and Canada)||Emergency Passenger Procedures|
|Air Brake Endorsement (M.T.O Signing Authority)||Drug & Alcohol Awareness||Defensive Driving Techniques|
|Border Crossing Procedures||The Law and You||Accident Prevention||Accident Reporting|
|Written Test Preparation|
4. Pass M.T.O. Written Test - This test covers everything you have learned in class. It is 40 questions, 20 B or C class, and 20 Road signs & General Traffic Law Rules questions. It can be done at any DriveTest location in Ontario.
5. Complete in vehicle driver training - This is the most important part of your course as its where you area learning the trade hands on. Only 1 on 1 training meaning just you and your instructor in the vehicle, no one watching you over your shoulder slowing your progress. We offer a safe and private 1.5 acre training yard to give you a safe/comfortable place to start, and move on to public roads when you are ready. Parking for all students is FREE.
6. Pass M.T.O. Road Test - The road test consists of a Pre-Trip Inspection, a 90° Backing Maneuver, and On-Road driving.
7. Job Placement - This is your entry into the trade as a professional bus driver. As with all parts of the training, we will assist you with choosing the right company for you.
If you have any more questions please contact us here or call (905) 281-0764